How to – Bottle Cuff Basics

I love making bottle cuff – here is an example of the the finished article:

Cuff_Pt2_02I have wanted to make a cuff since I saw the idea shortly after I discovered Powertex, they are very quick and simple to make and I think they just turn a simple bottle of wine into a special gift. I can see many more of these in my future.

One of the properties of powertex is that it doesn’t stick to plastic – so my first step was to cover the whole bottle in cling-film, you only need to go round once. If you don’t do this, the powertex may stick to the bottle or paper. It also makes it easier to remove the cuff from the bottle once it is dry.

Cuff_Pt0_03There are three colours of Powertex in this cuff – the base is bronze, then I have added a red rose and green leaves. I could have made them all out of one colour but I wanted to add some depth to the flower and also leave it looking slightly realistic.

After I covered the body I cut a length of t-shirt material, equavilent to twice the length from the neck of the bottle to base of the label. I used this to make the cuff itself and cut the end into a “V” but as you can see I still kept it slightly rough. This is the part I used the bronze Powertex with:

Cuff_Pt0_02I decided to make the flowers the same way I would make paper flowers – I cut both the petal and the leaves out free-hand and decided only to use one set of leaves in the end.

Cuff_Pt0_01To give a sense of scale – the flower is about 2 inches in diameter and I used a small 50p size blob of powertex to colour it completely.

If you have never made flowers like this you start to roll the flower from the outside, tightly at first the then slightly looser to give the petals shape. I fixed on the cuff straight away and then when it started to harden, I used tweezers to give it shape and to pull the petals into place. Because the resulting flower have a lot of layers of material I left it to dry for a day or so before I painted it to make sure it was hard and the petals were not going to be disturbed. So this is what it looked like whilst it was drying…

Cuff_Pt1_02

Once it was dried, I dry brushed it with copper pigment. I only used the one colour as I wanted it all to hold together as a single piece. I am going try this again with different shapes of flowers.

Cuff_Pt2_01

Thanks for Reading

BMB

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s