A couple of weeks ago I shared a the front over of my a stamp album I am making. I turned my attention this week to the inner covers of the album. I decided that I wanted to contrast the outside Steam Punk with a much more nature based inner cover, I started with plenty of bister.
I had used bister on the front to add to the feeling of decay so I let it dry naturally to give me small cracks. Here I wanted big cracks for a bark effect so I dried it quickly with a heat gun.
I have recently treated myself to Sheena Douglass’s create-a-flower stencils which have a selection of leaves on them. Some are quirky and were just the effect I wanted.
I started with the dark moss-green with large leaves. I tried to avoid the patches with lots of cracking on them.
I then used some translucent bronze paint to add slightly smaller leaves, This gave me the effect of sheen and tint without obscuring the design.
I then selected a third much smaller leaf shape with light green to add some complete contrast.
I sealed the who design with clear gesso. I have also added a couple of large cogs to the back cover and I am in the process of repeating the rusty powder process to the back cover.
- Powertex UK – Ivory Powertex
- Powertex UK – Brown Bister Powder
- Heidi Swapp – Moss and Ice Green Acrylic Paint
- Tonic – Nuvo Bronze Paint
- Sheena Douglas – Create-a-Flower Stencils
- Ranger – Clear Gesso
Thanks for Reading
If you have been following my blog for a while you will know I love my craft storage and I have two requirements:
- It needs to be flexible and maximises space.
- It needs to be cat proof… as my cats like to investigate anything that comes into their “home”
So this is what my craft area looks like usually, a lot of stamping and mixed media stuff for the cats to knock off the table and lots of ink pads. This is the stuff I used most, and therefore I want to have to hand.
The Table Tidy is a modular system which attached to the side of the table which you can separate pockets to.Currently it comes in three pocket, the main unit and then additional single or double pockets.
To be cat proof, it needed to be able to take the weight of a 4kg cat taking a short cut and these beauties means that once it is screwed onto the table it is not going anywhere.
The metal framework gives the canvas pockets a degree of rigidity which means you can use them on their own or as park of the wider unit. There is no bend and the weight remains distributed as I added more units.
One little touch I like is the check fronts are not just there for decoration. They are a mini pocket and perfect for a pen or a pair of scissors.
So how much does it hold? A lot, a surprising amount. It is deeper than it looks and you can pack a lot in.
It even takes the weight of my Crop-o-dile and the stick and spray is well supported. AND it copes with a cat launching themselves from it. So what impact has it had on my workspace?
Much neater but filled with powertex stuff as that is what I am currently working on!
I like this unit, it extends my work desk without being intrusive and it means that everything is still to hand… and it frequently copes with the BMB Cats taking a short cut to their favourite seats.
Thanks for Reading
I have a couple of Powertex projects on the go and one of these is a tissue box for work. As it is the middle of the cold season, most of the desks around me have boxes of tissues on them and I decided I needed to cover mine. The MDF Man does some very nice pre-made boxes and I have had one sitting upstairs for a while…
I haven’t got a clue what I am going to do with the box, but I know that I want to do use some of the Powertex Colortricx Terraviolet pigments on the finished item.
This is one of two “Terra” pigments (Green and Violet) which when added to a project gives an iridescent shimmer. I have had a tub of it for while but not had the time to play with it and this project seemed the perfect place to start as its such a smooth surface.
As I hadn’t use the pigment before, I had a chat with the Powertex UK Team and asked for advice on what colour powertex to use as a base. They suggested one of the darker colours so I opted for their darkest shade of black.
It took me a while to paint the item as I wanted to “catch the drops” as I want to keep some of the sides a plain glossy black so that the pigment/textured areas will stand out… (still have no real idea of how I am going to decorate pigmented area).
Once the outside was dried, I covered the inside too, again slowly to catch the drips, As you can see from this picture I did need to file down the base where some of the powertex has dribbled…
Once I have decided what to do with it, I will share it!
Thanks for Reading